Boat Name: SYCE
Sail: US 14
Year Built: 1922
Designer: John Alden
Builder: George Lawley & Sons
Owner: Robert Towse
History: Her name is an acronym of "Stamford Yacht Club Entry"
From the History section of the Stamford Yacht Club:
In 1921, Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club was host for the second British American Team Race Challenge in the Summer of 1922.The British America Cup was top news; and Six Meterswere the hot class, A group of Stamford Yacht Club members decided to go after the cup. The syndicate, made up of current and past Flag Officers, headed by E.Y. "Stubby"Weber, commissioned John G Alden, Inc. to design their yacht. One of Alden's top naval architects, Samuel Crocker, drew the yacht's lines and sail plan. The Stamford syndicate then commissioned George Lawley and Sons of Boston to build her. The Lawley yard built three other Six Meters for the cup challenge that year. And all of them were delivered late.
Weber and his friends took delivery of their boat. They christened her SYCE (StamfordYachtClub Entry) and launched her in time to take part in Larchmont Race Week. SYCE was a handsome yacht. Her length overall was 32ft 9in.She was 21ft 6in at the water line, carried 6ft 3 in at the beam and drew 4ft 11 in. She had a lead ballast keel. The keel itself was oak as were the stem, floor timbers and steam-bent frames (on 7in centers). Her hull was double planked 5/8in mahogany over l/4in cypress which was fastened with copper rivets and bronze screws. Her straps were bronze as well. SYCE's deck was cypress and originally covered with canvas.The cockpit and deck trim were mahogany. Her tiller was laminated oak.
SYCE was restored from stem to stern in 1990 and can be seen on her mooring at Stamford Yacht Club on most Summer days.